We aim at keeping all contents and links on our website up to date. Nevertheless, we assume no liability whatsoever for potentially erroneous information. In particular, we assume no liability for the content of linked external websites. We do not claim to release absolutely reliable data on measurements and indicated areas on our maps.
UNIGE E-Smog AppThe UNIGE E-Smog app is in its testing phase. This means that instabilities are possible.
1. What information does the Application obtain?
User RegistrationThere is no user registration.
Collected InformationWhen the user runs the Application, it allows the Application to collect information ("E-Smog Information") that is required for the evaluation of e-smog levels. For collecting this information, an action by the user is required, i.e., pressing the scan button and authorizing the upload of the data to the remote server (uploading is set by default). There is NO automatic NOR background task for collecting this information. To collect E-Smog Information, the Application requires the following device permissions: Cell Info, Bluetooth, Wifi: The Application detects antennas, bluetooth devices and wifis to determine their signal strengths and to produce e-smog level indicators from RSSI values. Geo-localization: The Application may use GPS technology (or other similar technology) to determine the e-smog measurement location and time. Network connection information: The Application may send E-Smog Information to a remote server. This requires information concerning the available network connections. Data quality assessment and extra-processing: The Application collects additional information ("General Information"): the type of mobile device used (product, model, manufacturer) and the version of the Application. This information is only used in order to be able to perform extra-processing of the E-Smog Information on the remote server. For example, we could be able to easily correct all measurements that have been carried out with the same type of mobile phone or using the same version of the Application. We DO NOT collect your Universally Unique Device Identifier (UUID) NOR any other information that could help identify a specific user.
Data storageThe Application may store information locally on your mobile device using application data caches and mobile storage.
2. Do third parties see and/or have access to information obtained by the Application?General Information and E-Smog Information may be shared with third parties only in the ways that are described in this privacy statement. We may disclose General information and E-Smog Information:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
- with any people and private or public institutions that have agreed to adhere to the rules set forth in this privacy statement; the data are shared under the Open Database Licence (ODbL).
4. What are my opt-out rights?You can stop all collection of information easily:
- if you don't use the Application;
- by uninstalling the Application; you may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace.
5. Data Retention Policy, managing your informationWe will retain all information as long as they have an interest in the community, particularly in a scientific research context. Because all data are anonymous, we are not able to delete data produced by any specific User.
6. SecurityWe are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our Application. Please be aware that, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
9. Contact usIf you have any questions regarding privacy while using the Application, or have questions about our practices, please contact us.
NoiseBay AppOur NoiseBay App is a modified version of the NoiseCapture App (see https://noise-planet.org/noisecapture.html). The NoiseCapture App is released under the GPLv3 license. In summary, we modified the following functionality:
- Anonymous measurements will be collected at our server of the Theoretical Computer Science and Sensor Lab of the University of Geneva, Switzerland and will be potentially forwarded to the NoiseCapture server managed by Ifsttar and CNRS, France.
1. What information does the Application obtain?
User Provided Information (same as for NoiseCapture App)The Application can obtain information a user may optionally provide when using the Application:
For the purpose of the user only:
- a description of the noise measurement (optional)
- a picture (using the mobile camera) to describe the noise measurement (optional)
A user may provide information regarding a personal evaluation of the noise environment, which can be useful for the community:
- information concerning the pleasantness of the noise environment (optional)
- predefined tags for description of the noise environment (optional)